Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Bono the Closet Capitalist?

I never saw it coming.

I'm not the biggest U2 fan in history but I'll admit to being a fan and even owner of some of their earlier albums (The Joshua Tree, etc.). 
The Joshua Tree was released in 1987. Image courtesy: Mercury Records

In a recent interview, Bono discussed his faith, C.S. Lewis, and the power of capitalism. What? The guy I generally thought of more as a walking package for welfare, aid, and handouts seems to recognize that's not the way to fix the world.

“Aid is just a stopgap,” he said. “Commerce [and] entrepreneurial capitalism take more people out of poverty than aid. We need Africa to become an economic powerhouse.”

I didn't see it coming. In my mind, shouldn't this lead to the question of why Bono continues to promote various aid and welfare programs around the world if he recognizes it isn't the solution. 



No comments:

Post a Comment